Wednesday, February 01, 2006

When it comes to welfare services, Denmark is the Land of Good 'n Plenty (not to be confused with the Land of Mike and Ike - that's Canada's Manitoba province). Education, health care, childcare, care for the elderly, and officially-licensed Care Bears merchandise are almost entirely financed and provided by the public sector. We're talking free doctor visits, free vocational training, free abortions! To participate in all these freebies, you need a proof of residency number that can be obtained at the local kommune. Jeff and I headed down there today, and we found it to be a lot less scary than it's spelled. The major decision of the day was picking a doctor to serve me in my time of need, should I need a time to be served. Glancing over the list of medical professionals in my town of Amager, I was dismayed to find Dr. Huxtable absent. The women helping me suggested I pick the doctor closest to my residence, but I'm Denmark, so I went with the klausest, Dr. Klaus Klausmussen. I hear he's a good doctor, and thorough.

The whole doctor-picking episode inspired Jeff and me to compile a list of doctors we wished were available to us:

Dr. Sam Beckett
Dr. Emmett Brown
Dr. Demento
Dr. Doolittle
Dr. Doom
Dr. Dre
Dr. Evil
Doc “Moonlight” Graham
Dr. Hibbert
Doc Holiday
Doc Hollywood
Dr. Jekyll
Dr. Mario
Doc Martens
Dr. Moreau
Dr. No
Dr. Nick
Doc Ock
Dr. Pepper
Dr. Scholl
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Who
Dr. Zaius
Dr. Zhivago
Dr. Zoidberg

Jeff and I found these sweaters on the H&M clearance rack and instantly fell in love with their reindeer pattern and reduced price (marked down by 70%). We showcased them on a recent day of classes, pretending we didn't know each other and acting quite surprised and embarassed at the coincidence. Jeff is going to wear his to company Christmas parties for the next 45 years; I plan to burn mine and snort the ashes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home